FB Pixel

Income Tax Information Centre

Common tax credits & deductions you that you may be available to you

Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)You can reduce your taxable income by contributing to an RRSP but there are limits.  Check last year’s notice of assessment for your contribution room.

Child Care Expenses: You can claim child care expenses if you paid someone else to look after your kid while you went to work. You can claim up to $8,000 for any kids aged up to seven years old, or $5,000 per child aged seven to 16 years old.

Spouse or Common-Law Partner Amount: You can claim this if your spouse or common law partner made less than $11,474 in 2016. 

Federal Political Contributions: You can claim any donations you made to federal political parties or candidates for seats in the House of Commons. The percentage you can claim varies with the amount of your contribution. The highest credit you can obtain is $650. Check with www.taxtips.ca for more detail.

Donations and Gifts: You can claim any donations or gifts you made to qualified institutions, so long as they don’t exceed 75 per cent of your income.

Children’s Fitness Tax Credit: You can claim a maximum of $500 for child, which can help offset the cost of registration in a physical activity program.

Children’s Arts Amount: Parents can also claim up to $250 per child for registration fees for artistic, cultural or recreation programs.

Medical ExpensesSubject to some qualifications and restrictions you can claim some medical expenses they paid for during the year.  

Moving ExpensesIf you move to a new home for work or to run a business at a different location, then you may be able claim any moving expenses. Check with www.taxtips.ca for more detail.

Disability Tax Credit: Tax credits and deductions are available for persons with disabilities, their supporting family members, and their caregivers.

For more information on income tax rates and tax credits check our Reference Library.